The Art of Tasting Whisky
A great dram might make you momentarily speechless but with this tray you will never forget the right vocabulary. Use the vocabulary on the tray to enhance your whisky tasting experience with respect to whisky colours, tasting order, nose-feel, mouth-feel, primary tastes and aromas.
Whisky Tray Specifications
- Diameter: 35cm (or a bit less than 14 inches).
- Weight of empty tray: 345 gram (or a bit more than 12 ounces).
- Material: Veneer Beech wood with a melamine coating. The wood is FSC certified and from sustainable sources. Beech wood is not listed in the CITES Appendices or on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
- The tray has a transparent anti-slip surface, so glasses are kept in place (up to 30 degrees inclination with the horizontal plane when placing a heavy pour in a Glencairn glass).
- Cleaning: Clean with a damp cloth. Add soap if needed.
- Made in Europe (EU) by a small but skilled tray factory.
The first edition of the tray was created as a Christmas Gift for our friends and business partners. We expanded the offer to be a “express” Kickstarter campaign and got the support of quite a few whisky enthusiasts. That very limited edition had a “Merry Christmas” message on the back side – and a couple of (stupid) typhographical errors on the front. The errors we corrected for this version that is for sale now.
We originally contacted Charles MacLean with an idea of making a wall clock. We came as far as to prototype it. Eventually, that idea morphed into the idea of making a whisky serving tray where the round shape of a whisky aroma wheel would be a perfect fit. We are immensely proud and honoured that Charles MacLean would let us use his whisky knowledge when designing the Whisky Tray. He even let us add his signature on the tray making it a true “Charlie’s Whisky Tray”!
Thanks to Glencairn Crystal Studio for letting us make a photo with their iconic whisky glass and to Vintage Malt Whisky Company for making us use their Finlaggan single malt.